The San Francisco 49ers believe that RB Shaun Draughn had shown enough promise midway through the 2015 season to be rewarded with a one-year contract. A five-year veteran, as Draughn has been a journeyman while playing for five different teams including the Kansas City Chiefs, Baltimore Ravens, San Diego Chargers, Cleveland Browns and now 49ers, will now be fighting for the No. 2 running back role behind third-year RB Carlos Hyde.
“Shaun did a heck of a job for us last year despite joining the team in the middle of the season,” said 49ers GM Trent Baalke. “He certainly earned the respect of everyone in our organization for the way he handled himself, both on and off the field, and we are excited to have him back.”
— Ryan Sakamoto (@SakamotoRyan) March 2, 2016
In six games in San Francisco, Draughn recorded 76 carries for 263 yards and one touchdown while being a dual-threat in the passing game with 25 receptions for 175 yards.
League source: Joe Staley’s conversion of option bonus to signing bonus was procedural. There’s no change to cash or #49ers cap for 2016.
— Matt Maiocco (@MaioccoCSN) March 2, 2016
In other news, Pro Bowl left tackle T Joe Staley has agreed to a restructured deal according to ESPN. Initial reports indicated that the move cleared up roughly $3 million in cap space but Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area quickly shot that down as he said the move was just procedural.