On Aug. 29, the NFL slapped San Francisco 49ers OLB Aldon Smith with a nine game suspension. A player with a troubled past, it was NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell who laid down the law as the suspension was more severe than had initially been anticipated.
A suspension that was handed down after Smith pleaded “no-contest” to the three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon back on Jun. 29, 2012 along with one misdemeanor DUI charge, Smith quickly found himself on the outside looking in 2014.
Last season, Smith took a five-game voluntary leave of absence to deal with his fight with alcoholism and as a result, the 49ers won all five games. However, this year is a different story.
Through eight games, the 49ers find themselves with a very modest 4-4 record and little pass-rush to speak of. A team that was highly favored to win the Super Bowl, the 49ers now find themselves in a battle just to win their division. And while some reported that Aldon’s suspension may be reduced, it looks like that rumor will not come true.
According to a league source, San Francisco 49ers OLB Aldon Smith’s suspension will not be reduced. A report that ESPN Ed Werder first reported, it looks like Aldon will have to wait until his Week 11 matchup with the New York Giants to make his 2014 debut.
The 49ers currently have an open roster spot, so no transactions are needed to make room for the 2012 first-team All-Pro. However, with that open spot likely going to NT Glenn Dorsey the 49ers may have to release another player to make room for Aldon on the roster.
Timeline of Aldon’s off-field incidents:
- Jan. 27, 2012: Arrested for DUI in Miami Beach
- June 29, 2012: Authorities found 5 unregistered weapons at his house and he was charged with 3 felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon
- June 29, 2012: Suffered stab wounds at his own house party
- Sept. 20, 2013: Arrested for suspicion of DUI with marijuana and pills in the car
- April 13, 2014: Arrested at LAX for allegedly saying “bomb” to TSA; not charged
- May 21, 2014: Pleads no contest to 3 felony weapon charges and one misdemeanor DUI (2nd DUI)
- July 18, 2014: Sentenced to 12 days in Jail and 3 year probation