If San Francisco 49ers GM Trent Baalke could describe OLB Aldon Smith this off-season in one word what would it be? “Hungry,” Baalke said.
Smith who openly agreed to restructure his $9.754 million salary in the form of roster bonuses — finally seems to be on the right track to success. “He’s got a great look in his eye. He’s doing exceptionally well. And he’s probably in as good as shape as he’s been in a long time…starting to develop into a leader,” Baalke added.
The 49ers who decided to pick up Smith’s fifth-year option last May —will now be playing in a contract year as he’s poised for a bounce back season. However, with DE Justin Smith pondering retirement the verdict is still out if Smith can still be the feared pass-rusher without his side-kick. Not to mention, Smith has a lengthy track record of off-field incidents, it remains to be seen how far along Smith has come. But if future events are any indication it appears that Smith is on the right track.
A close source tells me that #49ers OLB Aldon Smith was seen at an event last night with alcohol present & was drinking water instead.
— Ryan Sakamoto (@SakamotoRyan) April 18, 2015
Timeline of Aldon’s off-field incidents:
- Jan. 27, 2012: Arrested for DUI in Miami Beach
- June 29, 2012: Authorities found 5 unregistered weapons at his house and he was charged with 3 felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon
- June 29, 2012: Suffered stab wounds at his own house party
- Sept. 20, 2013: Arrested for suspicion of DUI with marijuana and pills in the car
- April 13, 2014: Arrested at LAX for allegedly saying “bomb” to TSA; not charged
- May 21, 2014: Pleads no contest to 3 felony weapon charges and one misdemeanor DUI (2nd DUI)
- July 18, 2014: Sentenced to 12 days in Jail and 3 year probation
In 50 regular-season games, Smith has amassed 152 tackles, 44 sacks, and five forced fumbles.